Monday 13 February 2017

SJ Hardware Benelli M4 Jumbo Safety



A few months ago, I received a gift basket of shotgun parts for my Benelli M4 Tactical from SJ Hardware. For the sake of clarity, I will disclose that I have known the owner of  SJ Hardware for over a decade and consider him a friend. Additionally, the product was provided to me free of charge with the promise I would be honest in my assessments. As my regular reader know, friendship is not a free pass on this blog. This will be the first in a series of articles assessing this collection of aftermarket accessories.

Benelli M4 Jumbo Safety



I was not a fan of the Benelli factory safety. It required a separate manipulation to deactivate before pressing the trigger. I, also, found it hard to manipulate with gloves on. Gloves are an operational reality. Additionally, living in Canada gloves are worn for, at least, six months of the year.



The SJ Hardware Benelli M4 Jumbo Safety is huge. This size makes it well suited for use while wearing gloves. The SJ Benelli M4 Tactical Jumbo Safety allows the user to deactivate the safety with the proximal phalange area of the trigger finger. This permits allowing the user to activate the trigger in one fluid motion, rather than a two-step process. Activating the safety requires the user to break their firing grip, when using a pistol gripped stock, sliding their thumb to push the safety back through. I like this. Activating a safety should take a conscious effort. It avoids complacency. With some dry practice, this new part has increased my efficiency and speed with initial engagements.

It is machined from solid 4140 steel. 4140 alloy steel is chromium, molybdenum, manganese containing low alloy steel which impart high fatigue strength, abrasion and impact resistance, toughness, and torsional strength. It is coated in a black nitride finish which further increases wear-resistance, fatigue strength, and corrosion resistance. It is made in Canada and built to last.




I am not a gunsmith but I found the safety easy to install after finding some instructions for a similar production online. It would be nice if SJ Hardware could produce their own video on installation. There are more than enough similar videos on YouTube though.


The SJ Hardware Benelli M4 Tactical Jumbo Safety does not come with a red ring signifying the firearm is off safe. I used a red paint pen to solve that.



The price: $24.99 CAD. 





No comments:

Post a Comment